Galatians 5:1

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free.
Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

I love this verse, because it was a light bulb moment for me on what this whole Jesus thing was...not rules, regimens, rituals...not practices and dogmas, just freedom. For the first time in a very long time I was freed. I was freed to follow Christ, not because I had to, but because there was no where else I wanted to be then. I understood that the rules didn't, couldn't, bring me closer to Jesus, but that when I came closer to Jesus, some of those old behaviors (like smoking, profanity, bickering with my husband) started to fall away and I desired to be obedient, not defiantly obeyed what I "had" to. And, as if all that wasn't enough, I had the option to never go back to that old way of life...I could remain free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Again, in the Dark

PTL Club

Redemption of the Broken