Armchair QB-His Sovereignty; Our Smallness



Ugh, ever hate it when you waste an hour of your life?  I spent an hour listening to Stephen Hawkings ramble on "Curiosity-Did God Create the Universe," and I found absolutely no challenge to God.  Is it wrong to say I am disappointed?  I thought perhaps he might have something interesting to say, but his conclusion went something like this: since there was no time or space or anything prior to the big bang, there couldn't God, either.  Of course, there are those of us saying, duh!  "In the beginning God created...." are the opening words of Genesis.  We know there was a beginning (some may point to the big bang since that is when "time" began), and God was already there.  Anyway, just needed to vent.

Sunday Kirk spoke on Isaiah 40:10-31.  (I admit, while we read the passage, I was hearing a Kung Fu narrator saying "its people are like grasshoppers.")

Somehow, it is interesting that this passage is backed up with the Stephen Hawkings special.  Science is a wonderful thing.  I am a strange bird and have taken up reading about quantum physics of late.  I just do not see the two, science and belief in God, being mutually exclusive.  The more I learn, the more amazed I am.  We (humanity) cannot take credit for creating things that we are merely fortunate enough to discover.  I see it from the angle that God is pleased to give us glimpses of Himself, of His creativity.

As the passage tells (v18-20), we can develop all sorts of ideas, all manner of explanations (or idols), to make ourselves feel more secure, more in control of our destinies, but that doesn't mean that we are.  It remains my strong belief, that there is indeed a God, that I am NOT that god, and that this God is Creator, eternal, great, present, gentle, mighty, wise, personal. 

Broken Temple=Broken <3

When I say personal, I mean connected personally.  In Isaiah's time, God lived among His chosen people in the temple.  Today, God lives within the heart of each believer.  When the temple was destroyed by invading armies, the people cried out in anguish wondering where God was (verse 27), much like we do when we are broken hearted.  The searing pain makes it hard to hear Him, to know if He is near.  It is difficult being small and broken at times when He feels far, or not there at all.  Where is He when I am lost in grief?  Where is He when the world looks like a screwed up mess of sin?

I have a friend who had a small flock of sheep.  They are odd creatures-obstinate but dependent-much like us.  His sheep relied on him for food, for shelter, for help with difficult births and when they were ill.  He tended a twin that had been cast off by her mother, keeping her in HIS shelter and nursing her gently with a bottle until she was strong enough to join the flock.  His sheep would wait for the roar of his Harley to come down the road.  They recognized his voice and would run to the fence.  This reminds me of what Isaiah said about God in the beginning of this passage: He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.

God is big enough that we can be small.  He is caring enough that we can be needy.  He is strong enough that we can be weak. 

I wish that made it easier to be small and broken, but it doesn't.  Though I am dependent, I am still an obstinate sheep.  Thankfully, my Shepherd know this and cares for me anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community