Orphaned


Today is Orphan Sunday.  Since 2003, churches have used this day as a way to not just raise awareness, but as a day when we consider how we are obeying the commandment to love our neighbor's as ourselves.

James 1:27 says that religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

We cannot ignore the orphaned.  At the same time, I appreciate this quote from the book of John when Jesus says, I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you (14:18).

I do not have the ability or calling to adopt children, but I love the children I sponsor: Greys, Anchara, and Musa.  I pray for them daily.  I write to them about God's love and his purpose in their lives.  Greys and Musa are too young to understand probably, but I still want them to know that they are not alone, that they have purpose, & that they can bring light into the darkness around them. We find a new family as God's children, no matter what continent we live on.

In a spiritual sense, we were all orphans.  We were alone, making our way through the harsh landscape of our lives.  That is why I love that Jesus doesn't ignore that loneliness.  Instead he addresses it head on-I won't abandon you!  I will be back!  Isn't that what so many movies and stories reflect as the human heart's desire?  That we are wanted by someone so much that nothing, not even death, can keep them away?

While I have not brought children into my home, they are in my heart.  Take the time to consider your heart, if it could love another child, then check out some of the links below.  Maybe you could sponsor a child in poverty, maybe you could foster parent, or maybe you can help another family adopt.

Sponsor a child:

Foster parent:

Help a family adopt:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community