Armchair QB


 

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.
When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy
went and sold all he had and bought that field.
“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.
 When he found one of great value,
he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

Matthew 13:44-46 NIV

It is never good when the preacher says something like this: "Don't expect the guy up here [speaking] to give you all the answers because he doesn't know everything," or "What did Jesus mean here?  I don't know."  I mean, really?  Don't you have a doctorate in something religious? 

It is pretty unsettling that the dude in charge admits he doesn't know.  This guy isn't that dumb, either.  I have edited his papers.  I can identify dumb.  So if he doesn't know what Jesus is talking about, how am I supposed to?  I am in the medical profession.  I can tell you how a heart works or even deliver a baby.  Exegesis...well, I just learned how to spell the dang word not that long ago!

While it may be a little unsettling that the pastor doesn't know everything or, for that matter, can do everything, it is wholly comforting that he is not our savior (sorry Kirk).  I know, not really breaking news, but isn't it just so easy to forget?  We want the pastor to answer the question.  We want him to pray for us, with us, over us.  We want him to counsel our spouse.  That's not fair, nor is it good for us. There are commentaries, study bibles, systematic theology for answers.  There are believers who absolutely love to pray for the ill or disciple someone in their faith.  We are a priesthood of believers.

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9

It is so easy, sitting in those rows, to slip into a lazy spectator perspective about all things spiritual.  That is not what we are called to, however.

I don't know what these parables are about, either, although I can more easily claim ignorance given that I have no degree.  Seriously tho, this journey is not for the faint of heart, instant gratification seeker.  Is it Jesus, giving all He was to buy our freedom?  Is it me, giving away my meager treasure for a more valuable Treasure?  I don't know.  But I am not going to stop pursuing His truth.  It is the true treasure for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community