Grace Covers the Mess


Sometimes at church or events I look around me and am amazed. I don't know about you but there are moments, everyday, when I feel like I am the only one. 

The only one with a temper that annoys. The only one who puts her foot in her mouth-frequently. The only one who feels alone in a crowd. The only one who wants better but can't do better.  The only one who is a mess. The only one who can't get this Christian act together. The only one who believes that she is hopeless without grace...

And then, I look around. At the crowd. At this room full of messes.

I do this when we line up one Sunday and slowly creep toward the communion table. I do this at conferences. I look around at the Body of Christ...and I know that I am not alone. 

We are all loved messes covered in grace...covered in His blood...a little bit of heaven on earth is found in this fraternity called the church. 

Today, as my mind recalls the rooms, the crowds, the gatherings, I cannot help but be amazed at how big this spiritual family is.  Jesus still has quite the messy, motley  crew following Him around. And He still covers us in grace...all of us...all our messes. Amen.

Comments

Bill Gallagher said…
Hi Jamie! If it's any consolation you are not the only one!!! You just described me as well!

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community