Redemption of the Broken





I am limping through another flare up of pain. I am embarrassed as a spasm causes me to seize and grimace. I try to not make eye contact with those coming my way because I am walking crooked with one hip higher than the other. Perhaps if I pretend to not notice, no one else will. 

While I may have resigned, more than surrendered, to the realization that pain is part of my life story, I am always grateful for how God is closer to me when I walk with a limp than when I run to catch up with my schedule. 

Is it because God moves slower than I want? Maybe it is just that I am trying to outrun him? It doesn't really matter. What does matter is that despite the mental and physical exhaustion of trying to attend to my life despite the pain, I am rested and revived spiritually.

I hear birds chattering joyfully and think of Elijah and his raven. I look around and see flowers blooming brightly and think how much more my father cares for me. In the fiery pain, I consider that the Lord himself entered into the furnace with Daniel's friends. When the walk seems too long, I hear Jesus calm the waves with a "Peace. Be still," and my anxiety obeys.

The sad reality is that I am more spiritually fit the more broken my body is. I pray that there comes a day when I can rely on God when I am more able bodied. For now, it is time to hobble to work with God by my side. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Again, in the Dark

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

PTL Club