Wholly Holy

I have been thinking a lot about holiness lately, as I have been reading about the early fathers and doctors of the Church. 

When Teresa of Avila encouraged her sisters to be “holy,” I think of those women -pious and good. Everything they did was directed by virtues to please God. Holy seems kind of like an abstract concept though. When I try to imagine “holy,” I see gem colored frescoes and gold leaf, I smell incense, I hear tenors singing “ahhhhhhhh,” I feel awe and feel my littleness, but none of these things really speaks to holy. It isn’t just a behavior or a sensual experience. It is being other. 

The word “qadosh” (holy) means something that is “other” (set apart) - the exact opposite of the something that is common. It is a state of being different and unique. So God is other because there is none like Him. We are all creation while He is the Creator. He is unique and other while we would be common. This is where my questions start showing up:

If, as it says in Leviticus, we are to be holy like God is holy, using the definition of “qadosh,” doesn’t that mean God would not be so different anymore, so apart from us? Do we become holy or does God become less holy? 

The Israelites were set apart through circumcision and dietary practices and religious rituals and clothing. They, of course, were the chosen people. Perhaps that exhortation of setting apart in Leviticus was just for them. Really, what would it look like for followers of Jesus to be set apart today? Do we need to utilize religious and cultural differences to maintain our set apartness?  Would that look like the Amish? And how could the Gospel be culturally relevant if we are set apart? 

I think about these things because if they are important to God, if holiness is important to God, then they are important to me. I wonder if I look too much like the world: a house bursting with possessions, professional and personal ambitions, and seeking financial security through a retirement fund. Sure, I give to charity and church. Sure, I quit smoking. Sure, I read and meditate on Scripture. Sure, I pray, just ongoing conversations with Jesus really. Is that enough to offset my addiction to social media, my brain’s chemical imbalances, or my not-so-charming ability to cuss like a sailor? Does church shopping/hopping as you look for the “right” fit (programming, demographic, style) or buying the latest (and hopefully greatest) books on meditating on the Word of God or on the most effective way to disciple others emphasize the Christians are set apart (a holy people) or do we fit in with a selfish and self-help culture, with just a twist of Jesus?

Mind you, I don’t want to be a freak. The most freaky thing I consider is to work at a church, for much less than my education would have me earn, because I so deeply want to serve God and people. I don’t necessarily want to run off to the other side of the world or kiss MRSA wounds like some saints kissed hands of leprosy. 

So what does holiness look like for me, in my life? 

I am still processing this, but I think I have found a few things:

*I am committed to my marriage and my husband. Yes, there are moments when I can’t stand him, but I choose to, because I think fidelity and commitment are right. This sets me apart. 

*As much as I struggle with belonging somewhere, I am committed to the idea of church. I want to have a home among believers. I have somewhere to be on Sundays. This sets me apart.

*I actually have these odd ideas that there are objectionable movies, music, and media because I believe that what I hear, see, experience can affect and infect my spirit. This sets me apart.

While these things do make me look a little weird to the world sometimes, I believe that if they are indeed examples of being “holy,” they also demonstrate the relevance of the holy Body of Christ. The world doesn’t really have answers. The world doesn’t teach us how to do relationships and community. The world doesn’t set aside time for God or God experiences. The world doesn’t encourage one to protect itself but to “free itself” which often looks like enslavement or at least continued perpetuation of abuse on one’s self. In being in the world but not of it, in being present but also holy, we can point to the Truth and model the Way. 

As I said, I am still mulling over what holiness means. I am sure it cannot mean perfect, both because of Strong’s word definition and because that is not going to be in my repertoire this side of eternity. I wonder sometimes if I think about things for so long because I am trying to find a loophole - surely God doesn’t need me to do all these things...but most of the time, I am just looking for Him or direction toward Him.


Have you thought about what holiness would look like in your life?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love this, Jaime. Thank you for sharing. I can relate to many of your feelings & it's very thought provoking.
Sharon :)

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community