Epiphany

 I haven't written here for a long time. Well, over a year, despite me telling myself that I would. Life sometimes gets in the way, and writing for school had filled this hole. 

Epiphany is the day that I celebrate as my baptism anniversary. When asked what my favorite holiday is, I always struggle to come up with an adequate answer because I fear that people won't understand, but this is it.  Epiphany is a day that I look forward to every year.

And it isn't just for my baptism but also because it is the day that the Church celebrates the wise, learned men finding the babe they sought to honor-the Christ child. The Epiphany is also known as Theophany, the manifestation of God  When I awaken every January 6th, I seek to "see" God. 

This January 6th, I woke from my night shift sleep to a riot happening at the Capitol. At first, I had to double check the channel of the TV at the diner. This couldn't be real, could it?  Not on THIS day.  But yes, of course, it was. 

American and Trump flags, even the Gadsden flag, waving in a throng of people don't bother me. 


But this does:


People will no doubt argue that the gallows are for the traitorous Democrats who "stole" the election-the same allegation that that has repeatedly been invoked, regardless of party, because Americans don't trusth their own system of government. However this symbol is a cruel and distateful abomination that has no place in any political rally, though it is compatible with a mob.

This Epiphany, instead of God, I saw the evil. I saw a crowd of ridicuous white individuals "storm" the Capitol without purpose. I saw interviews of confused or dull witted individuals who could not articulate what was happening because they were swept up in the emotion of the mob.

Consider this photo of another happy mob...




Did you know that the last "reported" lynching was just in 1981? Sure the picture above was from the 1920s, a century ago, but it was only 40 years since Michael Donald was lynched by KKK members in Mobile, Alabama. In 1981!

I have seen the pain and trauma on the face of my black friends.  I hear the fear of my brown and gay friends. I cry because my heart breaks to know that because I am white, I am placed in the same category of (white) that my friends saw on TV during this riot. Yes, I am certain the media is slanted and yes, I am sure that not everyone participated. In the same way that blacks are stereotyped, so will whites  be, or continue to be.

These days since Epiphany, I have been watching for God. To be honest, I am not sure where He is in this. I want Him to strike these people down.  I want Him to somehow heal our country which can only happen after there is healing of hearts. Some people just aren't interested in that. 

Until then, I will search my own heart to dig out any sin of prejudice or fear that lurks. I will continue to seek God's face because although hidden for now, He is faithful. He will set all things right in His time as He does not tolerate evil. I will not allow the evil of this world to dull my love for Him. Reading Scripture and being with believers strengthens my love as I am reminded of how great God is. I will strive to celebrate Epiphany everyday, offering my gifts and honoring my Lord. 




Comments

Karmen said…
Thanks you Jaime

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community