Priorities




Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8


Priorities have been on my mind lately.

I have a full, full to the brim with a little splash over kinda, life.

I have been blessed.

But...(always there is a but, isn't there?) I am busy. I am scheduled. I am behind on my readings. I long for prayer time. I am late for bed time. I miss my husband. I want to clean the bathroom.

What????
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Matthew 5:8

I have a lot to do. I have a lot of responsibility. Everything is good in my life, but is it all good for me?

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2


I used to spend a lot of time trying to figure out what God's will was for my life. But I don't do that anymore. I find my purpose, my path, scattered all thru the pages of His Word.


He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:9


As my mind is more focused on things of God, on God's plan, on what redemption looks like and as I read, learn, and meditate on His Word, my thinking changes. My old wisdom is empty. My old treasure is bones and dust.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

As I get to know Jesus, my life changes. I am not the same person I was before Him. I want to value what God values. I want to follow the Spirit's leading. I want His will to be my will.

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:28-31

And as I meditate on this question of what is important to me and how can it be my focus, I find Scripture keeps jumping out at me-each asking to be heard, each offering a piece of this puzzle. Certainly nothing listed here is one of those obscure insights that people rave on you about. Just simple stuff here...but really stuff...food that will give you something to chew and fill you up kind of stuff.

If you love me, you will obey what I command. John 14:15

I can't say I always know what is best for me. I accept lots of opportunities to experience things because I feel like I missed life for a while. But today my spirit is awake and playful and curious. While I may take too much on sometimes, I am also becoming more attuned to God and listening to Him speak in His word and thru people around me is helping me to find my way.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post!

Love the use of scripture. I wish I could use scripture that much!
Me said…
Hey Peter, can't say I had a choice-verses just kept coming at me. In fact I didn't re work this post because more kept coming to mind. I just had to publish and back away...got other things to do, ya know! :-)
Anonymous said…
Ditto Peter!!! I love the scripture Jamie used!!! Tying it into life and having it pop into your head Jamie must be divinely lead.Keep blogging. I love reading your blog :-) Love ya Chrissy

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community