Armchair QB-Submission


It has been a while since I have blogged, but Hope gave me a great topic and I am gonna get right to it:

Ephesians 5:21-24

New International Version (NIV)

Instructions for Christian Households

Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord.  For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
 
The world often sees submission as this:

I can see it as that as well, but I can also define it a little better now.

I cannot do it all.  Submission to me looks a lot like a housewife.  Or worse yet, a woman who works outside the home and is still expected to do the work inside the home.  Submission looks like a man on the couch while the woman does the cooking, the dishes, & the laundry.  Submission looks like a lopsided relationship when it is great to be a man and totally sucks to be a woman.  Submission is a frisky man and a tired wife.  Submission is the man not understanding why the wife is upset.  Submission is a mindset that disbelieves in hormonal upheaval. 

All of this is why I hate this topic.

The submission that I would like to see is understanding, loving, supporting, filling in the gaps.  Yeah, I am dreaming.

Sometimes I wonder how I can buy into the Christian thing and struggle so hard against some tenets.  Like, why bother at all?

Then I remember, it is not about all this crap.  And I breath a sigh of relief.

Now back to the dishes.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christ in His Distressing Disguise

Blog Carnival-Seasons

Blog Carnival: Community